2004 Pontiac GTO Fact Sheet
A Return to the
The idea of importing a rear-wheel drive Holden as a GM North American Pontiac performance offering gradually transformed into binging in Australia’s Holden Monaro and re-badging it as a revived Pontiac GTO.
General Year Information
The Holden Monaro was introduced in 2001 in Australia. But by the time in 2003 when it was released in the United States the look appeared “dated”. It was originally to be sold here for about $25,000, but when it was launched in the U.S., the Australian dollar’s growth inflated the price to well over $34,000. Both of these elements played a role in the car’s lukewarm acceptance by the public.
The GTO was equipped with the 5.7 L LS1 V8 engine for the 2004 model year, the same engine found in the Chevrolet Corvette. Changes from the Monaro included a “corporate Pontiac” front fascia, new GTO badging, “GTO” stitching on the front seats and a revised exhaust system. (GM Engineers bench-marked the sound of the 1964 GTO held in the Pontiac historical collection to tune the exhaust system). The GTO exhaust was a true dual system that followed the original Monaro exhaust routing, with both tailpipes exiting on the driver side of the vehicle.
To spice up the looks, the hood scoops that were slated for production in 2005 were pushed into production as part of an over-the-counter Sport Appearance Package. That package also included a taller and more angular rear spoiler, as well as deeper inset front grilles.
Initially in 2004, the car was offered in seven colors: Barbados Blue Metallic, Cosmos Purple Metallic, Quicksilver Metallic, Phantom Black Metallic, Impulse Blue Metallic, Torrid Red, and Yellow Jacket. Later, a W40 option package was offered featuring an exclusive paint color called Pulse Red, red “GTO” embroidery on black-anthracite seats, and a grey-colored gauge cluster. The last 794 units of the 2004 model year GTOs were equipped with the W40 package.
Click the Tab to See the Details
GTO: The GTO was based almost completely on the 2001 Australian Holden Monaro, built exclusively by Holden, a GM subsidiary. As noted, aside from a new front fascia, badging, and a Pontiac-designed interior changes, the car was 98% a Monaro. The car could be had with a choice of a 6-speed manual transmission or a 4-speed automatic.
A W40 package was offered late in the year, featuring Pulse Red paint, red “GTO” embroidery on black-anthracite seats, and a grey-colored gauge cluster. The last 794 units were equipped in this fashion.
15,740 Pontiac GTOs were produced in 2004.
Click the Tab to See the Details
350 Horsepower LS-1 V-8: Overhead valves. Aluminum block and aluminum heads. Displacement: 5.7L (346 CID). Bore and stroke: 3.90″ x 3.62″. Compression ratio: 10.0:1. Horsepower: 350 @ 5600 RPM. Torque: (manual) 375 @ 4400 RPM; (automatic) 360 @ 4000 RPM. Five main bearings. Hydraulic valve lifters. Camshaft Duration: (excluding ramps) Intake 199°, Exhaust 210°, Lobe Separation 116°, Lift (intake) 0.; 467″; (exhaust) 0.479″. Sequential Fuel Injection
- Six Speed Manual Transmission Ratios: 1st – 2.66:1, 2nd – 1.78:1, 3rd – 1.30:1, 4th 1:1, 5th – 0.84:1, 6th – 0.57:1 Reverse – 3.28:1
- Automatic Transmission Ratios: 1st – 2.92:1, 2nd – 1.57:1, 3rd – 1:1, 4th 0.71:1 – Reverse – 2.30:1
- Rear Gear Standard Ratio: 3.46:1
Body Paint Color Codes
Click on the Paint Code Name to See the Mix Codes for the appropriate color:
|24 Impulse Blue|
|47 Barbados Blue|
|59 Yellow Jacket|
|62 Torrid Red|
|72 Cosmo Purple|
|79 Pulse Red|
|80 Phantom Black|
2004 Pontiac GTO
Current Market Values
Comfort and Convenience
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel Standard
- Audio controls on steering wheel Standard
- Speed-proportional power steering Standard
- Cruise control Standard
- Front cup holders Standard
- Front door pockets Standard
- Front seat back storage Standard
- Remote trunk release Standard
- Retained accessory power Standard
- Leather steering wheel Standard
- Single zone front air conditioning Standard
- Rear ventilation ducts Standard
- Dual illuminating vanity mirrors Standard
- Rear floor mats Standard
- Trunk light Standard
- Leather trim on center console Standard
- Alloy and leather trim on doors Standard
- Leather trim on shift knob Standard
- Front reading lights Standard
- AM/FM stereo Standard
- Blaupunkt premium brand stereo system Standard
Files directly related to the 2004 Pontiac GTO will appear below. Click to Download:
Related Images to the 2004 Pontiac GTO will appear below
- Wheelbase: 109.8 inches
- Overall length: 189.8 inches
- Front track: 61.8 inches
- Rear track: 62.1 inches
- Width: 72.5 inches.
- Height: 54.9 inches.
- Weight: 3,725 lbs.
- Standard tires: P245/45R
- Standard Wheels: 17 x 8.0 inches