1986 Buick Regal RWD Cars Fact Sheet
for the Turbo V-6
The rear-drive platform hung on, but little was added . . . except for the T Type and Grand National Turbo V-6. It now had an intercooler allowing for more aggressive engine management and 35 more HP and 330 ft. lbs of torque! The 5 Liter Oldsmobile V-8 was now an option on all other Regals.
General Year Information
While most of Buick’s lineup had switched to contemporary front-wheel drive, Regal kept its rear-drive platform with little change.
Customers could still choose the Base or Limited Regal, or the T Type with the Grand National still an option on the T Type. New, was that Regals could be fitted with a 307 CID (5.0-liter) Oldsmobile V-8. Again, the standard powertrain was a carbureted version of the 3.8-liter V-6, with three-speed automatic transmission standard and the four-speed overdrive automatic optional. The diesel V-6 was gone.
Available colors were white, black and cream beige plus nine metallics: silver, gray, light brown, brown, light blue, dark blue, rosewood. dark red, and light sage; the latter not available on T Types.
Sales of the G Body platform again dropped, now at 91,229.
Click the Tab to See the Details
Regal standard equipment included bumper guards and protective strips, power brakes and steering, AM radio, cigarette lighter, dual horns, dual chrome mirrors, color-keyed body-side moldings. notch back seats (cloth or vinyl), and P195/75R14 steel-belted radial whitewalls. A 231 CID (3.8-liter) V-6, still using a carburetor, was standard along with a three-speed automatic transmission.
In addition to base Regal equipment of bumper guards and protective strips, power brakes and steering, AM radio, cigarette lighter, dual horns, dual chrome mirrors, color-keyed body-side moldings, Regal Limited added an exterior molding package and 55/45 notch back seating. P195/75A14 white sidewall tires were standard.
Regal’s high-performance T Type retained the 3.8 Liter V-6 with turbocharger and sequential port fuel injection, though, a major change was made to this engine: a new intercooler. Now, the fuel-injected engine churned out 235 horsepower and 330 pound-feet of torque. The inter cooler not only added power but reduced the likelihood of detonation.
Regal’s T Type sported a blackout-trimmed grille, windows, wipers and headlamp bezels, plus a revised tail lamp treatment with black moldings. It rode on low-profile P215/65R15 tires on aluminum wheels. The T Type’s Gran Touring suspension included a rear stabilizer, larger-diameter front stabilizer bar, higher-rate springs and shocks. Performance rear axle ratio was 3.42:1. Engine identification appeared on the side of the hood bulge. T Types also had body color sport mirrors, a trip odometer, turbo boost gauge, LED tachometer. leather-wrapped steering wheel, and air conditioning as standard.
An optional T Type Designers’ Package added a front air dam, rear deck spoiler, and special black and dark gray accent paint on the optional, firmer Lear Siegler bucket seats that had an adjustable backs.
The Regal Grand National, though still an option on the T Type went a lengthy step beyond it. The Grand National’s all-black body, complete with air dam and spoiler, had virtually no chrome or brightwork of any kind. Grand Nationals rolled on four chrome-plated wheels, with handling provided by the T Type’s performance-tuned Gran Touring suspension. Gray cloth bucket seats were standard.
The turbocharged V-6 with intercooler and sequential port fuel injection was claimed to be the most advanced high-performance engine offered in a Buick. Rated at more than twice the horsepower of the normally aspirated V-6 version, it fed that power to a four-speed overdrive automatic transmission. A total of 5,512 were produced out of the the total T Type production of 7,896 in this year.
Click the Tab to See the Details
LM9 TURBOCHARGED V-6 (Regal T Type): Cast iron alloy block and head. Displacement: 231 CID (3.8 liters). Bore & stroke: 3.8 x 3.4 in. Compression ratio: 8.5:1. Brake H.P.: 235 at 4400 R.P.M. Torque: 330 lb.-ft. at 2800 R.P.M. with turbocharger, intercooler, and sequential fuel injection. Four Main Bearings. Hydraulic valve litters. Valve Timing: (w/o ramp) Intake (193°) 282°, Exhaust: (196°) 276°. Valve Lift: Intake 0.400″, Exhaust 0.422″ Sequential fuel injection. VIN Code: 7.
307 CID V-8 LV2: 90-degree, overhead valve V-8. Cast iron block and head. Displacement: 307 CID (5.0 liters). Bore & stroke: 3.80 x 3.385 in. Compression ratio: 8.0:1. Horsepower: 140 @ 3200 RPM. Torque: 255 lb.-ft. @ 2000 RPM. Five main bearings. Hydraulic valve lifters. Carburetor: 4 barrel 4MC. Built by Oldsmobile. VIN Code: Y or H.
Click the Tab to See the Details
- Major Options
- Lighting and Mirrors
- Exterior Trim
- Interior Trim and Upholstery
- Regal Grand National pkg. (black body, front/rear bumpers, front air dam, rub strips/guards, cloth bucket seats, operating console, spoiler, performance-tuned suspension, chromed wheels): Added to T Type ($635).
- Regal T Type Designer package: black/dark gray Designers’ Accent paint and rear spoiler ($403).
- Value option package on Regal Limited: 5.0-liter V-8, cruise control, lighted visor mirror, delay wiper, tilt steering, stereo radio w/cassette, automatic power antenna ($425 credit from list price).
- Base Regal exterior molding package: wide rocker panel and belt reveal moldings ($110).
- Air conditioning. ($750).
- Automatic touch climate control air conditioning. ($900); T Type ($150).
- Cruise control w/resume ($175).
- Digital electronic instrument cluster ($299); T Type ($173).
- Electric door locks ($130).
- Electric trunk release ($40).
- Hatch-type roof ($850).
- Headlamps-on indicator ($16).
- Manual passenger seat back recliner ($75).
- Power windows ($195).
- Rear defogger, electric ($145).
- Six-way power driver’s seat ($225).
- Sliding silver electric Astro roof ($925).
- Sport steering wheel ($50); N/A T Type.
- Theft deterrent system ($159).
- Tilt steering ($115).
- Tinted glass ($115).
- Tinted windshield ($99).
- Trip odometer ($16); standard on T Type.
- Two-speed wiper w/delay ($50).
- Coach lamps: Ltd ($102).
- Cornering lamps ($57) except. T Type.
- Door courtesy/warning lights: Ltd ($44).
- Dual chrome mirrors left remote ($25) exc. T Type.
- Dual remote color-keyed mirrors ($83); T Type ($30).
- Dual sport mirrors left remote ($53); std. T Type.
- Lighted visor vanity mirror, passenger ($58).
- Rear seat reading light ($30); rear ($24).
- Tungsten-halogen headlamps ($25).
- Twilight Sentinel ($57).
- Visor vanity mirror, passenger ($7).
- Automatic power antenna ($65).
- Concert sound speakers ($95).
- Dual rear speakers ($25).
- Electronic-tuning AM/FM stereo radio ($242); w/cassette and equalizer ($494).
- Radio delete ($56 credit).
- Seek/scan electronic-tuning AM/FM stereo radio ($158); w/clock ($222); w/cassette ($344).
- Black protective body side moldings: T Type ($55).
- Body side stripes ($45).
- Designers’ accent paint ($205).
- Door edge guards ($15).
- Front license bracket (NC).
- Heavy-padded landau vinyl top ($245) except T Type.
- Landau vinyl top ($186) except T Type.
- Solid special color paint ($200).
- Cloth 55/45 seating ($133); standard on Limited.
- Cloth bucket seats: on Base or T Type ($195).
- Full-length console: Ltd/T Type ($82).
- Lear Siegler bucket seats: T Type ($600).
- Leather/Vinyl 45/45 seating: Ltd ($295); T Type ($595).
- Mats: front ($17); rear ($12).
- Mats w/inserts front ($25); rear ($20).
- Trunk trim covering ($47).
- Cast aluminum wheels ($285); standard on T Type.
- Chrome-plated wheels ($195); N/A T Type.
- Color-keyed wheels ($85) except T Type.
- Locking wire wheel covers ($199); N/A T Type.
- All-Season Tires: P205/70R14 SBA WSW ($62).
- P215/65R15 SBA WLT: T Type ($92).
Powertrains and Powertrain Options
- 231 CID (3.8-liter) V-6 Standard on Regal and Regal Limited
- Turbocharged 231 CID (3.8-liter) V-6: Standard in Regal T Type and Grand National. Optional others ($660)
- 307 CID (5.0-liter) V-8, 4Bbl.: Regal and Regal Limited ($540).
- Three-speed auto. transmission: Regal and Regal Limited with 231 CID V-6. Gear ratios: (1st 2.74:1· 2nd) 1.57:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (Reverse) 2.07:1.
- Four-speed overdrive automatic transmission: Regal T Type & Grand National, standard. All others optional: Gear ratios: (1st) 2.74:1; (2nd) 1.57:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (4th) 0.67:1; (Rev) 2.07:1.
- Regal: w/3-speed automatic: 2.41:1 standard; 3.08:1 3.23:1 optional
- Regal and Regal Limited gas engines w/4-spd automatic: 3.08:1 standard; 3.42:1 optional
- Regal and Regal Limited diesel engines w/4-spd automatic: 2.93:1 standard; none optional
- Regal T Type & Grand National: 3.42:1 standard; none optional
NOTE: Base 231 CID V-6 included in base model pricing. See Production figures for more information.
Grand National Model
NOTE: The Grand National was an option on the T Type. See “Packages” in Convenience/Appearance Options for full details.
Body Paint Color Codes
Click on the Paint Code Name to See the Mix Codes for the appropriate color:
1986 Buick Regal
|15 Medium Gray|
|22 Light Blue|
|24 Bright Blue|
|25 Light Blue|
|27 Medium Blue|
|29 Dark Blue|
|31 Dark Blue|
|42 Light Sage|
|43 Light Sage|
|49 Dark Sage|
|52 Sedona Tan|
|54 Yellow Beige|
|58 Light Chestnut|
|61 Light Chestnut|
|62 Dark Chestnut|
|64 Dark Chestnut|
|65 Medium Driftwood|
|71 Medium Red|
|74 Dark Red|
|75 Garnet Red|
|78 Dark Carmine|
|79 Dark Red|
|84 Medium Gray|
|92 Medium Emerald Firemist|
|94 Medium Blue Firemist|
|96 Dark Driftwood Firemist|
- Wheelbase: 108.1 in.
- Overall length: Regal coupe 200.6 in.
- Height: Regal coupe 54.6 in.
- Width: Regal coupe 71.6 in.
- Front Tread: 58.5 in.
- Rear Tread: 57.7 – 57.8 in.
- Standard Tires: Regal P195/75R14 SBA WSW; Regal T Type P205/70R14 SBR
Files directly related to the 1986 Buick Regal Line will appear below:
1986 Buick Regal Print Advertisements
1986 Buick Regal MVMA (AAMA) Specifications Sheets > Soon!
1986 Buick Regal Grand National Road Test – Autoweek Magazine
1986 Buick Regal –
Current Market Values
Related Images to the 1986 Regal Line will appear below