1985 Buick Regal RWD Cars Fact Sheet
Standing Pat – Less
Engines But More Options
Rear-drive days were numbered, so the Regal had limited changes. Options were increased, however.
General Year Information
Only the Regal coupe remained this year, as the four-door sedan left the lineup. In addition to base and Limited trim levels, buyers had a choice of two performance editions: the familiar T Type and a the dramatic Grand National. Regal’s forward slanted front fascia carried a new slanted grille. Wheel covers were restyled, new body colors were offered, and interiors came in a new selection of colors.
Engine options were reduced to three choices: a carbureteed 231 CID V-6, the SFI turbo V-6. The diesel V-6 was optional on the base Regal and the Regal Limited only.
The loss of the 4-door sedan in the Regal line cut sales in half, dropping 224,754 down to 124,546. Though Regal suffered, Buick total production was 1,002,906, the first time the brand passed the million cars per year mark, almost 11 percent of US car production.
Part of Buick’s youth-oriented promotion for the Regal Grand National included a TV commercial with the song “Bad to the Bone performed by George Thoroghgood and the Delaware Destroyers.
Click the Tab to See the Details
Regal standard equipment included bumper guards and protective strips, power brakes and steering, AM radio, cigarette lighter, dual horns, dual chrome mirrors, color-keyed body-side moldings. notch back seats (cloth or vinyl), and P195/75R14 steel-belted radial whitewalls. A 231 CID (3.8-liter) V-6, still using a carburetor, was standard along with a three-speed automatic transmission.
In addition to base Regal equipment of bumper guards and protective strips, power brakes and steering, AM radio, cigarette lighter, dual horns, dual chrome mirrors, color-keyed body-side moldings, Regal Limited added an exterior molding package and 55/45 notch back seating. P195/75A14 white sidewall tires were standard.
Regal’s high-performance T Type retained the 3.8 Liter V-6 with turbocharger and sequential port fuel injection, which produced 200 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque. It used distributor-less ignition and had three computer-controlled ignition coils to send current to the spark plugs. T Types came with a 3.42:1 performance axle ratio, overdrive automatic transmission, Gran Touring suspension, leather-wrapped steering wheel turbo boost gauge, trip odometer, tachometer, and air conditioning. for 1985, T Types now had a new power brake system, with boost provided by an electric pump rather than the power steering pump.
The Grand National was a $675 T Type option package. Again for 1985, it continued with its aggressive all-black exterior including the windshield wipers, special black aluminum wheels, the firmer Gran Touring suspension, and new two-tone cloth bucket seats. Grand Nationals retained the 200-horsepower turbo 3.8-liter V-6 with sequential fuel injection. Equipment also included black bumpers, rub strips and guards; black front air dam and decklid spoiler; and Grand National identification on body and instrument panel.
On the test track it had hit 60 MPH in 8 seconds.
Click the Tab to See the Details
LD5 BASE V-6: 90-degree, overhead-valve V-6. Cast iron alloy block and head. Displacement: 231 CID (3.8-liters). Bore & stroke: 3.8 x 3.4 in. Compression ratio: 8.0:1. Horsepower: 110 @ 3800 RPM. Torque: 190 lb.-ft. @ 1600 RPM. Four main bearings. Hydraulic valve litters. Valve Timing: (w/o ramp) Intake (188°) 265°, Exhaust: (194°) 273°. Valve Lift: Intake 0.3744″, Exhaust 0.3744″. Carburetor: 2 barrel Rochester 2ME. VIN Code: A.
LM9 TURBOCHARGED V-6 (Regal T Type): 90-degree, overhead-valve V-6. Cast iron alloy block and head. Displacement: 231 CID (3.8-liters). Bore & stroke: 3.8 x 3.4 in. Compression ratio: 8.0:1. Horsepower: 200 @ 4000 RPM. Torque. 300 lb.-ft. @ 2400 RPM. Four Main Bearings. Hydraulic valve litters. Valve Timing: (w/o ramp) Intake (193°) 282°, Exhaust: (196°) 276°. Valve Lift: Intake 0.400″, Exhaust 0.422″ Sequential fuel injection. VIN Code: 9.
263 CID (4.3-liter) diesel V-6 OPTIONAL Regal: 90-degree, over head-valve V-6. Cast iron block: cast iron or aluminum head. Displacement: 262.5 CID (4.3-liters). Bore & stroke: 4.057 x 3.385 In. Compression ratio: 21.6:1. Brake horsepower: 85 @ 3600 RPM. Torque: 165 lb.-ft. @ 1600 RPM. Four main bearings. Hydraulic valve lifters. Fuel injection. Built by Oldsmobile. VIN Code: V or T.
Click the Tab to See the Details
- Major Options
- Lighting and Mirrors
- Exterior Trim
- Interior Trim and Upholstery
- Regal Grand National package: black exterior, front air dam decklid spoiler rub strips/guards, Gran Touring suspension, front bucket seats aluminum wheels. SFI Turbo V-6 standard. ($675).
- Regal T Type Designer package: black/dark gray Designers’ Accent paint and rear spoiler ($403).
- Base Regal exterior molding package: wide rocker panel and belt reveal moldings ($110).
- Air conditioning ($730); standard on T Type.
- Astro roof, sliding electric silver ($895).
- Cruise control w/resume ($175).
- Digital electronic instrument cluster ($299); on T Type ($173).
- Electric door locks ($125).
- Electric trunk release ($40).
- Hatch roof ($825).
- Headlamps-on indicator ($16).
- Manual passenger seat back recliner ($75).
- Power windows ($185).
- Rear defogger, electric ($140).
- Six-way power seat, each side ($215).
- Sport steering wheel ($50); N/A T Type.
- Theft deterrent system ($159).
- Tilt steering ($110).
- Tinted glass ($110).
- Tinted windshield ($90).
- Touch climate control air conditioning ($880); on T Type ($150).
- Trip odometer ($16) except T Type.
- Two-speed wiper w/delay ($50).
- Coach lamps: Limited only ($102).
- Cornering lamps ($57); N/A on T Type.
- Door courtesy/warning lights: Limited only. ($44).
- Dual chrome mirrors, left remote ($25)· N/A on T Type.
- Dual remote sport mirrors ($83); on T Type ($30).
- Dual sport mirrors left remote ($53); standard on T Type.
- Seat reading light front ($24); rear ($30).
- Tungsten-halogen headlamps ($22).
- Twilight Sentinel ($57).
- Visor vanity mirror passenger ($7); lighted ($58).
- Automatic power antenna ($65).
- Concert sound speakers ($95).
- Dual rear speakers ($25).
- Electronic-tuning AM/FM stereo radio ($138); w/clock ($157).
- Radio delete ($56 credit).
- Seek/scan AM stereo/FM ET stereo radio w/clock ($242)· w/cassette and equalizer ($494).
- Seek/scan AM/FM stereo ET radio w/clock ($222); w/cassette ($344).
- Black protective bodyside moldings: on T Type ($55).
- Body side stripe ($45).
- Designers’ accent paint ($205); N/A on T Type.
- Door edge guards ($15).
- Landau vinyl top ($186) heavily padded ($245); Not available on T Type or Grand National
- Solid special color paint ($200).
- 45/45 leather/vinyl seating: on Limited ($295); on T Type ($595).
- 55/45 seating ($133) standard on Limited
- Bucket seats on base Regal ($195) not available on Limited
- Carpet mats front ($17); rear ($12).
- Carpet mats with inserts front ($25); rear ($20).
- Lear Siegler bucket seats on T Type ($600).
- Storage console on Limited. ($82).
- Trunk trim ($44).
- Chrome-plated wheels ($195)· N/A T Type.
- Color-keyed wheels ($85) N/A T Type.
- Locking wire wheel covers ($190) N/A T Type.
- Styled aluminum wheels ($285); standard on T Type.
- P205/70A14 SBA WSW ($62) except T Type.
- P215/65A15 SBA WLT on T Type ($92).
- Self-sealing tires ($105) except T Type.
Powertrains and Powertrain Options
- 231 CID (3.8-liter) V-6 Standard on Regal and Regal Limited
- Turbocharged 231 CID (3.8-liter) V-6: Standard in Regal T Type and Grand National. Optional others ($660)
- 263 CID (4.3-liter) diesel V-6 ($359).
- Three-speed auto. transmission: Regal and Regal Limited with 231 CID V-6. Gear ratios: (1st 2.74:1· 2nd) 1.57:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (Reverse) 2.07:1.
- Four-speed overdrive automatic transmission: Regal T Type & Grand National, standard. All others optional: Gear ratios: (1st) 2.74:1; (2nd) 1.57:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (4th) 0.67:1; (Rev) 2.07:1.
- Regal: w/3-speed automatic: 2.41:1 standard; 3.08:1 3.23:1 optional
- Regal and Regal Limited gas engines w/4-spd automatic: 3.08:1 standard; 3.42:1 optional
- Regal and Regal Limited diesel engines w/4-spd automatic: 2.93:1 standard; none optional
- Regal T Type & Grand National: 3.42:1 standard; none optional
NOTE: Base 231 CID V-6 included in base model pricing. See Production figures for more information.
- Wheelbase: 108.1 in.
- Overall length: Regal coupe 200.6 in.
- Height: Regal coupe 54.6 in.
- Width: Regal coupe 71.6 in.
- Front Tread: 58.5 in.
- Rear Tread: 57.7 – 57.8 in.
- Standard Tires: Regal P195/75R14 SBA WSW; Regal T Type P205/70R14 SBR
Grand National Model
NOTE: The Grand National was an option on the T Type. See “Packages” in Convenience/Appearance Options for full details.
Body Paint Color Codes
Click on the Paint Code Name to See the Mix Codes for the appropriate color:
1985 Buick Regal
|15 Medium Gray|
|21 Light Royal Blue|
|22 Light Blue|
|24 Light Royal Blue Firemist|
|25 Light Blue|
|27 Medium Blue|
|28 Dark Royal Blue|
|29 Dark Blue|
|31 Dark Blue|
|42 Light Sage|
|43 Light Sage|
|44 Light Gray Fern|
|46 Medium Sage|
|47 Medium Sage|
|49 Dark Sage|
|51 Yellow Gold|
|52 Sedona Tan|
|57 Dark Sandstone|
|58 Light Chestnut|
|59 Cream Beige|
|61 Light Chestnut|
|62 Dark Chestnut|
|64 Dark Chestnut|
|65 Light Russet|
|68 Dark Sandstone|
|72 Crimson Maple|
|74 Autumn Maple Firemist|
|79 Dark Red|
|84 Medium Gray|
|85 Saddle Tan Firemist|
|86 Light Sandstone Firemist|
|89 Very Dark Sandstone|
|94 Medium Blue Firemist|
|96 Light Sandstone Firmist|
|97 Dark Gray Firemist|
Files directly related to the 1985 Buick Regal Line will appear below:
1985 Buick Full Line Brochure – The Art of Buick
1985 Buick Full Line Brochure – The Science of Buick >Coming Soon
1985 Buick Full Line Brochure – The Buying of Buick > Coming Soon
1985 Buick Regal Print Advertisements
1985 Buick Regal MVMA (AAMA) Specifications Sheets
1985 Buick Regal –
Current Market Values
Related Images to the 1985 Regal Line will appear below