1984 Buick Regal RWD Cars Fact Sheet
The Turbo V-6
Gets More Power
High-tech engines got the emphasis for 1984, along with modem electronics and aero styling.
General Year Information
Regal discontinued its station wagon model in 1984. The diesel V-8 also disappeared, however a 4.3 Liter V-6 diesel was available as an option. Regal models had a new grille and front fascia design, along with new graphics and tail lamps. Inside a modified instrument panel was fitted. Coupes added new headlamp bezels and park/signal lamps. And joining the option list was a digital instrument cluster much like the one fitted to the Riviera, with fluorescent displays that showed speed, distance and fuel level.
Two new Buick designed 3.8 Liter V-6s were introduced: one with multi-port fuel injection, the other with sequential fuel injection (standard on Regal/Riviera T Types). With multi-port injection (called “MFI”), a computer analyzed air/fuel requirements and sent a charge to all six cylinders during each engine revolution. Sequential injection gave each cylinder a precisely metered charge, just before firing, this was for best performance all the way from idle to full load.
An acceleration/deceleration feature on the new electronic cruise control allowed speed change in one mile per hour increments by touching a button on the lever. Cellular phones were offered for the first time, factory approved but installed by dealers. 1984 Buick body colors were: beige, light sand gray, bright red, white and black, plus a selection of metallic paints: light brown, brown, light green, green, light blue, blue, red, dark red, silver, sand gray Firemist, Firemist red, and Firemist gold. All Firemist colors cost extra.
Click the Tab to See the Details
Regal standard equipment included dual mirrors and horns, automatic trans mission, power brakes and steering bumper guards and rub strips, and whitewall P195N5R14 steel-belted tires. All engines except the base 231 CID (3.8 Liter) V-6 could have four-speed overdrive automatic transmission as an option.
The Regal Limited included the base Regal equipment: bumper guards and protective strips, power brakes and steering, AM radio, cigarette lighter, dual horns, dual chrome mirrors, color-keyed body-side moldings. More sumptuous notch back 45/55 front seats (cloth or vinyl), and P195/75R14 steel-belted radial whitewalls were added.
All engines except the base 231 CID (3.8 Liter) V-6 could be equipped with the four-speed overdrive automatic transmission.
Regal’s high-performance T Type had the new 3.8 Liter V-6 with turbocharger and sequential port fuel injection, which produced 200 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque. Distributor-less ignition on the turbo used three computer-controlled ignition coils to send current to the spark plugs. T Types came with a 3.42:1 performance axle ratio, overdrive automatic transmission, Gran Touring suspension, leather-wrapped steering wheel turbo boost gauge, trip odometer, tachometer, and air conditioning.
Buick’s display of turbo technology at auto shows during 1984 was highlighted later in the model year by the emergence of the 1984 Regal Grand National “produced in limited numbers for those who demand a high level of performance.” Its purpose was to give much of the feeling of a NASCAR race car. It was an option on the T-Type carrying a $1,282 price tag, but few many Grand National packages found their way onto T Type Regals in1984.
Grand Nationals were equipped with the turbo 3.8 engine, P215/60R black walls, sport steering wheel, tachometer and boost gauge, and 94-arnp Delcotron. Distinctive bodies came only in black, with black bumpers, rub strips and guards; black front air dam and deck lid spoiler; black headlamp bezels; turbo aluminum wheels with black paint; and Grand National identification on front fenders.
The optional Lear Siegler interior had the front seats embroidered with the Grand National logo.
Click the Tab to See the Details
LD5 BASE V-6: 90-degree, overhead-valve V-6. Cast iron alloy block and head. Displacement: 231 CID (3.8-liters). Bore & stroke: 3.8 x 3.4 in. Compression ratio: 8.0:1. Horsepower: 110 @ 3800 RPM. Torque: 190 lb.-ft. @ 1600 RPM. Four main bearings. Hydraulic valve litters. Valve Timing: (w/o ramp) Intake (188°) 265°, Exhaust: (194°) 273°. Valve Lift: Intake 0.3744″, Exhaust 0.3744″. Carburetor: 2 barrel Rochester 2ME. VIN Code A.
LM9 TURBOCHARGED V-6 (Regal T Type): 90-degree, overhead-valve V-6. Cast iron alloy block and head. Displacement: 231 CID (3.8-liters). Bore & stroke: 3.8 x 3.4 in. Compression ratio: 8.0:1. Horsepower: 200 @ 4000 RPM. Torque. 300 lb.-ft. @ 2400 RPM. Four Main Bearings. Hydraulic valve litters. Valve Timing: (w/o ramp) Intake (193°) 282°, Exhaust: (196°) 276°. Valve Lift: Intake 0.400″, Exhaust 0.422″ Sequential fuel injection. VIN Code: 3
252 CID V-6 OPTIONAL Regal: 90-degree, over head-valve V-6. Cast iron alloy block and head. Displacement: 252 CID (4.1 liters). Bore & stroke: 3.965 x 3.4 In. Compression ratio: 8.0:1. Horsepower: 125 @ 4000 RPM. Torque: 205 lb.-ft. @ 2000 RPM. Four main bearings. Hydraulic valve lifters. Valve Timing: (w/o ramp) Intake (188°) 265°, Exhaust: (194°) 273°. Valve Lift: Intake 0.3744″, Exhaust 0.3744″. Carburetor: 4Bbl. Rochester. VIN Code: 4.
263 CID (4.3-liter) diesel V-6 OPTIONAL Regal: 90-degree, over head-valve V-6. Cast iron block: cast iron or aluminum head. Displacement: 262.5 CID (4.3-liters). Bore & stroke: 4.057 x 3.385 In. Compression ratio: 21.6:1. Brake horsepower: 85 @ 3600 RPM. Torque: 165 lb.-ft. @ 1600 RPM. Four main bearings. Hydraulic valve lifters. Fuel injection. VIN Code: V.
V-8 OPTIONAL Regal: 90-degree, over head valve V-8. Cast iron block and head. Displacement: 305 CID (5.0- liters). Bore & stroke: 3.74 x 3.48 in. Compression ratio: 8.6:1. Horsepower: 150 at 4000 R.P.M. Torque: 240 lb.-ft. at 2400 R.P.M. Five main bearings. Hydraulic valve lifters. Valve Timing: (w/o ramp) Intake (188°) 265°, Exhaust: (194°) 273°. Valve Lift: Intake 0.3744″, Exhaust 0.3744″. Carburetor: 4Bbl. Rochester M4ME. Built by Chevrolet. VIN Code: H.
Click the Tab to See the Details
- Major Options
- Lighting and Mirrors
- Exterior Trim
- Interior Trim and Upholstery
- Regal Grand National Package. (black bumpers, lamps, moldings. spoilers, special interior trim w/console, special aluminum wheels: Available on T Type Model only ($1,282).
- Regal T Type Designer package: designers’ accent paint and rear spoiler ($403).
- Air conditioning ($730); standard on T Type.
- Electric door locks ($125-$175).
- Electronic cruise control w/resume ($175).
- Electronic instrumentation ($299) except T Type ($173).
- Hatch roof: coupe ($825).
- Headlamps-on indicator ($16).
- Manual passenger seat back recliner ($75).
- Power windows ($185-$260).
- Rear defogger electric ($140).
- Six-way power seat, each side ($215).
- Sliding electric silver Astro roof: coupe ($895).
- Sport steering wheel ($50).
- Theft deterrent system ($159).
- Tilt steering wheel ($110).
- Tinted glass ($110).
- Tinted windshield ($90).
- Touch climate control air conditioning ($880); T Type ($150).
- Trip odometer ($16) except T Type.
- Two-speed wiper w/low-speed delay ($50).
- Coach lamps: Ltd ($102).
- Cornering lamps ($57).
- Dome reading lamp ( 24).
- Door Courtesy/warning lights: Ltd ($44-$70).
- Dual remote sport mirrors ($83); T Type ($30).
- Dual sport mirrors, left remote ($53) except T Type.
- Lighted visor vanity mirror, passenger ($58)
- Rear seat reading light ($30).
- Remote left mirror ($25) except T Type.
- Tungsten-halogen headlamps ($22).
- Twilight Sentinel ($57).
- Visor vanity mirror, passenger ($7).
- AM radio ($112).
- AM/FM stereo radio ($238).
- Automatic power antenna ($95); w/radio ($60).
- Electronic-tuning AM/FM stereo radio ($402); w/cassette and graphic equalizer ($605).
- Concert sound speaker system ($95).
- Dual rear speakers ($25-$30); included w/stereo radio.
- Body side stripe ($42); choice of nine colors.
- Designers’ accent paint ($200-$205).
- Door edge guards ($15-$25).
- Exterior molding package: wide rocker panel and belt reveal ($110); standard on Ltd.
- Landau vinyl top: coupe ($186) except T Type; heavily padded ($245).
- Long vinyl top: sedan ($160): heavily padded ($245).
- Protective body side moldings: T Type ($55); choice of six colors.
- Solid special color paint ($200).
- Wraparound body side moldings: sedan ($104).
- 45/45 leather/vinyl seating: Ltd ($295).
- 55/45 seating ($133) except Limited models
- Bucket seats ($195) except Limited models
- Carpet savers front ($17); rear ($12).
- Carpet savers w/inserts front ($25); rear ($20).
- Full-length console ($82).
- Lear Siegler bucket seats for T Type ($600).
- Body-color wheels ($85) except T Type.
- Chrome-plated wheels ($195); If on T Type ($90 credit).
- Locking wire wheel covers ($190) except T Type.
- Styled aluminum wheels ($285)· standard on T Type.
- P205/70R14 SBA WSW ($62) except T Type.
- P215/65R15 SBA WLT: Add to T Type ($92).
- Self-sealing tires ($106) except T Type.
Powertrains and Powertrain Options
- Turbocharged 231 CID (3.8-liter) V-6: Standard in Regal T Type
- 252 CID (4.1-liter) V-6, 4 Barrel carburetor ($225).
- 263 CID (4.3-liter) diesel V-6 ($599).
- 305 CID (5.0-liter) V-8, 4Bbl.: LeSabre ($225).
- Regal and Regal Limited with 231 CID V-6: Three-speed auto. trans. gear ratios: (1st 2.74:1· 2nd) 1.57:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (Rev) 2.07:1.
- Regal and Regal Limited and T Type – all other engines: Four-speed overdrive automatic gear ratios: (1st) 2.74:1; (2nd) 1.57:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (4th) 0.67:1; (Rev) 2.07:1.
- Regal: w/3-speed automatic: 2.41:1 standard; 3.08:1 3.23:1 optional
- Regal and Regal Limited gas engines w/4-spd automatic: 3.08:1 standard; 3.42:1 optional
- Regal and Regal Limited diesel engines w/4-spd automatic:2.93:1 standard; none optional
- Regal T Type & Grand National: 3.42:1 standard; none optional
NOTE: Base 231 CID V-6 included in base model pricing. See Production figures for more information.
Body Paint Color Codes
Click on the Paint Code Name to See the Mix Codes for the appropriate color:
1984 Buick Regal
|22 Light Royal Blue|
|27 Medium Dark Royal Blue|
|42 Light Grayfern|
|48 Dark Grayfern|
|59 Frost Beige|
|60 Light Sand Gray|
|62 Light Briar Brown|
|67 Dark Briar Brown|
|73 Light Maple|
|74 Autumn Maple Firemist|
|74 Autumn Maple Firemist|
|75 Spectra Red|
|78 Dark Autumn Maple|
|85 Saddle Firemist|
|87 Medium Sand Gray Firemist|
1984 Buick Regal –
Current Market Values
Grand National Model
NOTE: The Grand National was an option on the T Type. See “Packages” in Convenience/Appearance Options for full details.
- Wheelbase: 108.1 in.
- Overall length: Regal coupe 200.6 in.; Regal sedan 196.0 in.
- Height: Regal coupe 54.6 in.; Regal sedan 55.5 in.
- Width: Regal coupe 71.6 in., Regal sedan 71.1 1n.
- Front Tread: 58.5 in.
- Rear Tread: 57.7 – 57.8 in.
- Standard Tires: Regal P195/75R14 SBA WSW; Regal T Type P205/70R14 SBR
Files directly related to the 1984 Buick Regal Line will appear below:
Related Images to the 1984 Regal Line will appear below